After studying applied mathematics at the University of Twente, I obtained my PhD at Eindhoven University of Technology with Leen Stougie, Gerhard Woeginger and Judith Keijsper. After that, I have worked as a postdoc at the University of Canterbury with Mike Steel and Charles Semple, as a teacher in primary and secondary schools in Tanzania and Kenya and as a researcher at CWI in Amsterdam. Since November 2014, I am an assistant professor at TU Delft.
- Utilizing Genealogical Phylogenetic Networks in Evolutionary Biology: Touching the Data, 7-11 July 2014, Lorentz Center, Leiden.
- The Future of Phylogenetic Networks, 15-19 October 2012, Lorentz Center, Leiden.
Program Committee memberships
- Vidi grant “Encoding, reconstructing and comparing complex evolutionary scenarios” funded by NWO.
- Veni grant “Bringing phylogenetic networks to life” funded by NWO.
New papers and preprints (a full list is here)
- Philippe Gambette, Leo van Iersel, Mark Jones, Manuel Lafond, Fabio Pardi and Celine Scornavacca. Rearrangement moves on rooted phylogenetic networks. PLoS Computational Biology, doi: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1005611 (2017).
- Péter L. Erdős, Stephen G. Hartke, Leo van Iersel and István Miklós. Graph realizations constrained by skeleton graphs. The Electronic Journal of Combinatorics, 24 (2), \#P2.47 (2017).
- Leo van Iersel and Vincent Moulton. Leaf-reconstructibility of phylogenetic networks, arXiv:1701.08982 [math.CO] (2017).
- Leo van Iersel, Vincent Moulton, Eveline de Swart and Taoyang Wu. Binets: fundamental building blocks for phylogenetic networks. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, 79 (5): 1135–1154 (2017).
- Laura Jetten and Leo van Iersel. Nonbinary tree-based phylogenetic networks. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics. DOI:10.1109/TCBB.2016.2615918. (arXiv).
- Martijn van Ee, Leo van Iersel, Teun Janssen and Rene Sitters. A Priori TSP in the Scenario Model. WAOA2016, LNCS 10138, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-51741-4_15.
- Leo van Iersel, Steven Kelk, Georgios Stamoulis, Leen Stougie and Olivier Boes. On unrooted and root-uncertain variants of several well-known phylogenetic network problems. To appear in Algorithmica (arXiv:1609.00544 [cs.DS] (2016)).
- Philippe Gambette, Leo van Iersel, Steven Kelk, Fabio Pardi and Celine Scornavacca. Do branch lengths help to locate a tree in a phylogenetic network? Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, 78 (9): 1773–1795 (2016). (arXiv).
- Leo van Iersel. Hoe zijn ze verwant? Nieuw Archief voor Wiskunde, 5/16 (3): 174-178 (2015).