After studying applied mathematics at the University of Twente, I obtained my PhD at Eindhoven University of Technology with Leen Stougie, Gerhard Woeginger and Judith Keijsper. After that, I have worked as a postdoc at the University of Canterbury with Mike Steel and Charles Semple, as a teacher in primary and secondary schools in Tanzania and Kenya and as a researcher at CWI in Amsterdam, funded by my personal Veni grant from NWO. Since November 2014, I am an assistant professor at TU Delft.
I have two open PhD positions (and one filled postdoc position) in the project “Encoding, reconstructing and comparing complex evolutionary scenarios”, funded by a Vidi grant from NWO. You are welcome to apply via email.
Click here to visit my old CWI website (outdated).
New papers and preprints (a full list is here)
- Laura Jetten and Leo van Iersel. Nonbinary tree-based phylogenetic networks. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics. DOI:10.1109/TCBB.2016.2615918. (arXiv).
- Martijn van Ee, Leo van Iersel, Teun Janssen and Rene Sitters. A Priori TSP in the Scenario Model. WAOA2016, to appear.
- Leo van Iersel, Steven Kelk, Georgios Stamoulis, Leen Stougie and Olivier Boes. On unrooted and root-uncertain variants of several well-known phylogenetic network problems, arXiv:1609.00544 [cs.DS] (2016).
- Philippe Gambette, Leo van Iersel, Steven Kelk, Fabio Pardi and Celine Scornavacca. Do branch lengths help to locate a tree in a phylogenetic network? Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, 78 (9): 1773–1795 (2016). (arXiv).
- Leo van Iersel, Steven Kelk, Nela Lekic, Chris Whidden and Norbert Zeh, Hybridization Number on Three Rooted Binary Trees is EPT, SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics, 30(3): 1607–1631 (2016). (arXiv) (PDF)
- James Oldman, Taoyang Wu, Leo van Iersel and Vincent Moulton. TriLoNet: Piecing together small networks to reconstruct reticulate evolutionary histories. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 33 (8): 2151-2162 (2016).
- Leo van Iersel, Steven Kelk and Celine Scornavacca, Kernelizations for the hybridization number problem on multiple nonbinary trees. Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 82(6): 1075–1089 (2016). (arXiv) Preliminary version in WG 2014. LNCS 8747, 299-311 (2014). Software: Treeduce.
- Steven Kelk, Leo van Iersel, Celine Scornavacca and Mathias Weller. Phylogenetic incongruence through the lens of Monadic Second Order logic. Journal of Graph Algorithms and Applications, 20(2): 189-215 (2016).
- Leo van Iersel, Steven Kelk, Nela Lekic and Simone Linz. Satisfying ternary permutation constraints by multiple linear orders or phylogenetic trees. Theoretical Computer Science, 609 (1): 1-21 (2016). (arXiv)
- Péter L. Erdős, Stephen G. Hartke, Leo van Iersel and István Miklós. Graph realizations constrained by skeleton graphs. arXiv:1508.00542 [math.CO] (2015).
- Leo van Iersel. Hoe zijn ze verwant? Nieuw Archief voor Wiskunde, 5/16 (3): 174-178 (2015).